Study Guide for Chap. 4 – Ancient Greece and the Mediterranean Region Terms and People to Know
Chapter 4 Sec 1 (Pgs 112-117)
Crete Aegean Sea
Arthur Evans Knossos shrines
frescoes Mycenaeans Indo-Europeans
Dorians Illiad Odyssey
Homer ( Homeric Age)
Sec 2 (Pgs 118 – 123)
Balkan Peninsula colonies polis acropolis citizens monarchy aristocracy oligarchy phalanx Athens
Sparta Peloponnesus helots Council of Elders ephors Attica democracy Solon tyrants Pisistratus Cleisthenes
Council of 500 legislature metics myths Mt. Olympus Hades ( Greek underworld) Zeus Hera Poseidon Athena Aphrodite Apollo Dionysus barbaroi
4. Sec 3 ( Pgs 124 – 129)
Militiades Ionian Herodotus Darius I Marathon Themosticles Xerxes Thermopylae King Leonidas of Sparta Salamis Simonides Plataea uniqueness alliance Delian League Pericles direct democracy stipend jury Ostracism ecclesia The Boule
4 Sec 4 (Pgs 130-136)
Philosophers logic rhetoric sophists Socrates philosophy Plato “Socratic Method” Academy dialogues “The Republic” Aristotle The Golden Mean The Lyceum “Ethics” “Poetics” “Logic” “Politics” Parthenon Doric Ionic Corinthian rigid Nike of Samonthrace The Dying Gaul The Festival of Dionysus tragedies Aeschylus Sophocles Euripides “Oresteia” “Antigone” “The Trojan Women” comedies Aristophanes “The Clouds” Herodotus The Persian Wars bias Thucydides
“History of the Peliponnesian War”
5 Sec 5 (Pgs 137-147)
Macedonia Philip II of Macedon Alexander the Great assassination Olympias Dardanelles Granicus River assimilated Hellenistic culture Ptolemy I Alexandria Pharos accumulated Archimedes Ptolemy elaborate Stoicism Zeno Cynics Diogenes Epicurus Epicurians Pythagoras Pythagorean theorem Euclid “ The Elements” Aristarchus heliocentric theory Eratosthenes Hippocrates Hippocratic oath “ The Net Pullers” “The Persians” skene orchestra theatron Myron Phidias Praxiteles
• Describe how the geographical characteristics of the Balkan Peninsula influenced the ancient Greeks
• Why did early Greeks settle in city-states?
• Briefly trace the development and achievements of the Minoans and the Mycenaeans.
• How did the city-states of Sparta and Athens develop differently?
• What challenges did Greek civilization face during the 400s B.C.
• Explain the architecture, painting, sculpture, and other developments in art during Greece’s “golden age.”
• Describe the lives, teachings, and significant contributions of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
they different? .
• Explain the Greek contributions and major developments in math, science, history, and drama.
• Explain the Greek theatre and describe the characteritics of a Greek play - both tragedy amd comedy.
• Explain the battle tactics and methods of Philip of Macedon and goals of Alexander the Great.