Guide for Chapter 9 - Ancient Byzantium
Terms and People to Know
9 Sec. 1 pgs 280-288
Constantinople “ New Rome” Hippodrome Emperor Justinian Belisarius Nika Rebellion Hagia Sophia minarets muezzins Corpus Juris Civilis Justinian's Code autocrat Theodora Greek fire patriarch icons iconoclasts iconoclastic controversy Great Schism Eastern Orthodox church Seljuk Turks Ottoman Turks Mehmet II Istanbul Procopious Secret History Anna Comnena Alexiad
9 Sec. 2 pgs 289-293
steppe Kiev Varangians Kievan Rus Rurik Vikings Novgorod Cyril Methodious Cyrillic
Princess Olga Vladimir I Yaroslav the Wise Russian Orthodox Church Genghis Khan Batu Golden Horde Moscow
Battle of Kulikovo Ivan the Great boyars tsar Ivan IV oprichniki Ivan the Terrible
9 Sec. 3 pgs 294 –301
Slavs Balkan Peninsula Danube Vistula ethnic group expulsion Prince Boleslaw of Cracow Queen Jadwiga Duke Wladyslaw Jagiello Poland –Lithuania diet liberum veto Jan Sobieski Magyars The Golden Bull of 1222 Serbs Stefan Dusan Battle of Kosovo
• Describe and explain Byzantine cultural developments and how they preserved Western civilization.
• Describe and explain how the geography of Eastern Europe helped develop Russian cultural centers.
• Describe and explain the contributions of the Slavs and Vikings to Kievan Rus.
• Describe and explain the Mongol invasions of eastern Europe.
· Outline and explain the rise of the Russian Orthodox church and the city of Moscow
Essay Questions ( give specific examples to support your statements )
1. Describe and explain how the geography and culture of the Byzantine empire helped save Western civilization. Give specific examples of Roman and Greek civilization.(be specific)
2. Describe and explain the rise of civilization in Russia. Give specific examples of geography, political rulers, economy, religious, and cultural examples of Russian civilization.