Study Guide for Chapter 19 –The French Revolution Terms and People to Know
Sec1 (Pages 624-637)
Seven Year's War parlements Louis XV Louis VXI Jacques Necker Charles Alexandre de Calonne
Assembly of Notables The Estates General Etienne Charles Lomenie de Brienne Assembly of the Clergy don gratuit
bourgeoisie First Estate Second Estate Third Estate Abbe Sieyes Doubling of the Third Estate Cahiers de Doleances
National Assembly The Tennis Court Oath National Constituent Assembly Marie Antoinette The Bastille The National Guard The Paris Militia
Marquis de Lafayette cockade tricolor journees "The Great Fear " Auguest 4th The Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen
Declaration of Rights(Virginia) The Women's March on Versailles Tuileries
Sec2 (pages 637-644)
The Constitution of 1791 Legislative Assembly Olympe de Gouges's Declaration of the Rights of Women Departements provinces guilds
Chapelier Law The Metric System assignats Civil Constitution of the Clergy refractory emigres Count of Artois Flight to Varennes Declaration of Pillnitz Leopold II of Austria Fredrick William II of Prussia
Sec3 (pages 644-649)
Legislative Assembly Jacobins Girondists Prussian/Austrian-Franco War Francis II Pauline Leon Paris Commune
The Septemeber Massacres Universal Male Suffrage Convention Battle of Valmy 1st French Republic sans-culottes
Jacobins ( Mountain ) Citizen Capet guillotine death of Louis XVI General Dumouriez Edmund Burke
Reflections on the Revolution in France William Pitt the Younger London Corresponding Society Joseph Priestly habeas corpus
Scheldt River The First Coalition
Sec4 (pages 649-665)
Reign of Terror The Committee of Public Safety Jacques Danton Maximilien Robespierre Lazare Carnot
levee en masse conscription Republic of Virtue Pauline Leon Claire Lacombe
The Society of Revolutionary Republican Women Olympe de Gouges De-Christianization Temple of Reason deputies
Revolutionary Tribunals enrages Law of 22 Prairal The Cult of the Supreme Being Ninth of Thermidor
The Thermidorian Reaction "The White Terror" " bands of Jesus" The Constitutiuon of the Year III Council of Elders
Council of the Five Hundred Napoleon Bonaparte Treaties of Basel The Directory Gracchus Babeuf
• How did the financial weaknesses of the French monarchy lay the foundation of the Revolution of 1789?
• Discuss the role of Louis XVI in the French Revolution. What were some of his blunders? Was there a way he could have avoided the French Revolution?
• Describe and explain how the Estates General was transformed into the National Assembly. How does the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizens reflect the idelas of the Enlightenment?
• Describe and explain the various ways that France attempted to reorganize its government and social institutions.
• Describe and explain the Revolution of 1792 and why it occurred?
• Describe and explain the various wars that France was involved in during the Revolution. What were the drawbacks or benefits of France fighting a wr during domestic upheaval?
• Describe and explain how France supported or violated the idea of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity.