1. (pgs 407-417)
Giorgio Vasari Lives of the Most Eminent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects Pico della Mirandola Humanism humanities Francesco Petrarch Florence Lorenzo the Magnificent Medici patron
"Sonnets to Laura" perspective Filippo Brunelleschi Donatello Leonardo da Vinci Michelangelo Raphael Baldassare Castiglione Niccolo Machiavelli "The Prince"
Jan and Hubert van Eyck
Peter Paul Reubens Albrecht Durer engraving vernacular Desiderius Erasmus “In Praise of Folly”
Sir Thomas Moore “Utopia” utopian Francois Rabelais William Shakespeare Globe Theatre
4. (pgs. 428-433)
Sects Anabaptists Henry VIII (England) Mary Tudor annul Thomas Cromwell Thomas Cramner Mary Tudor Anne Boleyn Elizabeth I Edward VI "Book of Common Prayer" compromise The Catholic Reformation Council of Trent The Inquisition The Index of Forbidden Books Ignatius of Loyola ( Jesuits ) St. Teresa of Avila ghetto ( Jews )
Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres
heliocentric Tycho Brahe
Johannes Kepler Galileo Galilei Francis Bacon Rene Descartes Discourse on Method
Andreas Vesalius Ambroise Pare William Harvey Anton van Leeuwenhoek Robert Boyle
Isaac Newton gravity calculus
Why did the Renaissance begin in Italy? Who were the leading artists,
• How was the Northern Renaissance differ from the Italian Renaissance? Who were the leading scultors, writers, artists in the North?
• What were the causes and effects of the Protestant Reformation?
• How and where did the Protestant Reformation spread? ( England, France, Netherlands)
• What effect did the printing press have on the spread the Reformation.
• What did the Catholic church do in response to the Reformation?
• Describe and explain the Scientific Revolution in Europe? Who were some the great thinkers of the Scientific Revolution?
Essay Questions ( give specific examples to support your statements )( Any 2 essays)
1. Describe and explain the Renaissance in Italy and in Northern Europe. Give at least three examples from each of art or literature and the artists reponsible for these achievments.
2. Explain how the Renaissance led to the Reformation and explain the causes and effects of the Protestant Reformation and what the Catholic Church tried to do to stop the Protestant growth.
3. Describe and explain with examples the Scientific Revolution in Europe.( 1543-1687)