Study Guide for Chapter 10 – Muslim Civilizations Terms and People to Know
Islam Muslims Arabian Peninsula bedouins
Ramadan hajj jihad Sharia suras
Abu Bakr caliph Sunnis Shiite Shiat Ali
Sufis mystics Umayyad Abu al-Abbas Abbasid
Caravans sakk social mobility janissary ( slave soldier) Rabiah al-Adawiyya Firdawsi Shah Namah
Omar Khayyam The Rubaiyat The Thousand and One Nights Scheherezade calligraphy Al-Mamun
Ibn Rushd Averroes Ibn Khaldun quadrant astrolabe Jaipur observatory al-Khwarizmi Algebra Muhammas al-Razi Ibn Sina Avicenna Canon on Medicine
Gupta Empire Sultan Mahmud of Ghazni Sultan of Ghur Delhi Tamerlane Samarkand poll tax rajahs Urdu Nanak Sikhism Babur the Tiger Mughal Empire Akbar the Great Jahangir Nur Jahan Shah Jahan Taj Mahal Aurangzeb
Ottomans Mehmet II
· Describe and explain the rise of Islam and the life of Muhammed and his rise to power.
· Outline the Five Pillars of Faith in the Muslim religion.
· Compare the beliefs of the Sunnis, Shi'is and the Sufis in the Islamic religion.
· Describe the and give examples of Muslim culture, science, art, society, and family rituals.
· Describe and explain the influence of the Turks on the Muslim world.
· Describe and explain the Muslim invasions on
· Describe and explain the birth and decline of the Safavid and Qajar Empires
Essay Questions ( give
specific examples to support your statements )
1. Describe and explain the rise of the Islamic faith in the
2. Describe the influences and effects the Islamic faith has had on other parts of the world. Give examples of