Guide for Chapter 17 –The Transatlantic Economy, Trade Wars, and
Terms and People to Know
Sec1 (Pages 550-560)
Mercantile Empires The Treaty of Utrecht mercantilistic system bullion "golden age of smugglers"
Dutch East Indies Company Compagnie de Indies factories Joseph Dupleix Robert Clive Queen Isabella
The Council of the Indies viceroys New Spain Peru New Granada audiencas corregidores Casa de Contratacion
Consualdo flota War of the Spanish Succession Philip V Ferdinand VI Charles III Rio de la Plata intendant peninsulares creoles
Sec2 (pages 560-567)
Senegambia Sierra Leone The Gold Coast the Bight of Benin the Bight of Biafra Brazil The Caribbean Portuguese Spain Dutch England France
Kongo Civil Wars Kikongo South Carolina Jamaica Haitian Revolution slave codes Slave rolts Saint Dominque British slave reform
Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 (U.S.) Brazilian Proclamation of 1888
Sec3 (pages 567-572)
asiento The War of Jenkin's Ear Portobello Fair The War of the Austrian Succession Frederick II Silesia
Pragmatic Sanction Maria Theresa Cardinal Fleury Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle Convention of Westminster
Diplomatic Revolution Prince Wenzel Anton Kaunitz The Seven Year's War French and Indian War Saxony
Empress Elizabeth Peter III Treaty of Hubertusburg William Pitt ( the elder) Plains of Abraham General James Wolfe
General Louis Joseph Montcalm Quebec City Benjamin West Robert Clive Battle of Plassey
British East India Company The Treaty of Paris (1763) George III Earl of Bute ( not Butt)
Sec4 (pages 572-585)
The War of the American Revolution Sugar Act George Grenville Stamp Act Stamp Act Congress Sons of Liberty
Declaratory Act Charles Townshend Chancellor of the Exchequer Townshend Acts Boston Massacre The Tea Act
Lord North Intolerable Acts Quebec Act committees of correspondence First Continental Congress
Battles of Lexington and Concord Battle of Bunker Hill ( Breed's Hill) Second Continental Congress Thomas Paine
Common Sense Declaration of Independence George Washington Lord Cornwallis Benjamin Franklin Treaty of Paris ( 1783)
John Locke John Trenchard Thomas Gordon Cato's Letters Whig families John Wilkes The North Briton Number 45
libel "Wilkes and Liberty" extralegal Associaltion Movement Christopher Wyvil Yorkshire Association Movement
Charles James Fox William Pitt ( the younger) Articles of Confederation Federal Constitution of 1788 Bill of Rights
John Singleton Copely Watson and the Shark The Columbian Exchange
• What were the fundamental ideas asocialted with mercantile theory? Which countries were the most and lest successful in establishing mercantile theory?
• What were the main points of conflict between Britain and France in North America, the West Indies, and India?
• How was the Spanish colonial empire in the Americas organized and managed? How was it changed by the Bourbon monarchs?
• What was the nature of slavery in the Americas? How was it linked to the economies of the Americas, Europe, and Africa?
• What were the results of the Seven Year's War and the global wars of the 18th century?
• Describe and explain the American Revolution. How was it influenced by European ideas and how was Europe affected by the Revolution?