Study Guide for Chapter 23 –The Age of Nation States Terms and People to Know
Ch 23 Sec1
The Crimean War Moldavia Walachia Napoleon III Nicholas I Sevastopol Treaty of Paris 1856 Concert of Europe Gordon Craig Hatt-i Sharif of Gulhane Tanzimat tax farming Hatti-i Humayun millet system ulema Balkan Wars Young Turks Central Powers romantic republicanism Carbonari
Giuseppi Mazzini Yong Italy Society Giuseppi Garibaldi Roman Republic of 1849 Pius IX Count Camillo Cavour Piedmont-Sardinia
King Charles Albert Victor Emmanuel II Nationalist Society Orsini Nice Savoy " Red Shirts" transformismo Lateran Accord Italia irredenta
Ch 23 Sec2
Zollverein Frederick William IV William I Hohenzollern Otto Von Bismarck Junker kleindeutsch Schleswig-Holstein
German Confederation Convention of Gastein Seven Weeks War Austro-Prussian War Battle of Koniggratz
The Treaty of Prague The North German Confederation Bundesrat Reichstag The Franco-Prussian War Isabella II
Prince Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen Count Vincent Bendetti Bad Ems Ems Dispatch Battle of Sedan
Hall of Mirrors at Versailles Alsace and Lorraine Napoleon III Archduke Maximilian of Austria The Second Empire
The Paris Commune Adolphe Thiers The Treaty of Frankfurt Communards The Third Republic The Count of Chambord
Marshall MacMahon General Georges Boulanger " The Dreyfus Affair" Captain Alfred Dreyfus Devil's Island Emile Zola
Ch 23 Sec3
Francis Joseph The October Diploma Diets February Patent Reichsrat Augsleich Compromise of 1867
The Dual Monarchy Francis Deak trialsim
Ch 23 Sec4
Alexander II The Emancipation Proclomation of 1861 zemstvos Polish Rebellion of 1863 Tsar Liberator
Alexander Herzen The Bell populism Land and Freedom Vera Zasulich The People's Will Alexander III Russification
Nicholas II The Reform League John Bright Lord Russell Lord Derby Benjamin Disraeli William Gladstone patronage The Ballot Act
Education Act Richard Cross The Public Health Act Artisan Drilling Act Home Rule Church of Ireland
Irish Land League Charles Stewart Parnell Irish Party Liberal Party Liberal Unionists Lord Salisbury Home Rule Bill
House of Lords Act of 1911
• Why did the Ottoman Empire attempt to reform itself betwen 1839 and 1914? How successful were these efforts?
• Why was it so difficult to unify Italy? What groups wanted unification? Why did Cavour succeed? What did Garibaldi contribute to Italian Unification?
• How and why did Bismarck unify Germany? Why had earlier attempts failed? How did German unification affect the rest of Europe?
• What events led to establishment of the Third Republic of France? How were foreign and domestic policies intertwined during the Second Empire? What were the objectives of the Paris Commune? How did the Dreyfus Affair affect the Third Republic?
• What problems did Austria share with other Eastern European empires? Were they resolved? Why did the Hapsburgs agree to the Compromise of 1867? Was it a success?
• What reforms did Alexander II institute in Russia? Did they solve Russia's domestic problems? Why did the abolition of serfdom not satisfy the peasants?
• How did the policies of the British Liberal and Conservative parties differ between 1860 and 1890? Why was Home Rule such a divisive issue in British politics?
1. Describe and explain the unification of Germany. How was Bismarck able to unify Germany and what problems occurred after Germany was united?(be specific)
2. Describe and explain the unification of Italy. How were Italian nationalists able to unify Italy and what problems did they encounter after unification?( be specific, support your statements with facts)
3. Compare and contrast the events that took place in the Austrian Empire to the Russian Empire and how the nationalist movement in the empires were forces that caused disunity as opposed to unity. What compromises were reached and why were they not effective? (Be Specific)