Study Guide for Chapter 21 –The Conservative Order and the Challenges of Reform Terms and People to Know
21 Sec1 (Pages 706-710)
Nationalism language uniformity liberal Benjamin Constant
21 Sec2 (pages 710-716)
conservatism Prince Klemens von Metternich German Confederation Frederick William III War of Liberation
Prussian Council of State Burschenschaften anti-Semetism Karl Sand August von Kotzebue Carlsbad Decrees
Lord Liverpool Corn Law Combination Acts Poor Law William Cobbett Political Registrar Major John Cartwright Henry "Orator" Hunt
Coercion Act of March 1817 The Peterloo Massacre The Six Acts Cato Street Conspiracy Thistlewood Louis XVIII The Charter
Chamber of Deputies Count of Artois Duke of Berri Electoral Laws
21 Sec3 (pages 716-724)
Concert of Europe Aix-la Chapelle Ferdinand VII of Spain Cortes Congress of Troppau Protocol of Troppau
Congress of Laibach Congress of Verona George Canning Monroe Doctrine Greek Revolution of 1821
Philhellenic Societies Treaty of London Treaty of Adrianople Treaty of London II Otto I Karageorge Milos
Toussaint L'Overture Jean-Jacques Dessalines mestizos mullatos croles peninsulares juntas Rio de la Plata
Jose de San Martin Bernardo O'Higgins Protector of Peru Simon Bolivar llaneros Battle of Ayacucho New Spain
Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon Augustin de Iturbide Joao VI of Brazil Dom Pedro
21 Sec4 (pages 724-741)
Tsar Alexander I Tsar Paul The Southern Society Pestel The Northern Society Constantine Nicholas I The Decembrist Revolt Codification of Russian Law Count S.S. Uvarov Orthodoxy, Autocracy and Nationalism Grand Duke Constantine Organic Statute Official Nationality Louis XVIII Charles X Primogeniture Chamber of Deputies Prince de Polignac Orleanists The July Revolution The Four Ordinances Louis Philippe Algeria William of Holland Belgium Lord Palmerston Leopold of Saxe-Coburg Convention of 1839 Serbia George IV William IV The Great Reform Bill Whigs Lord Liverpool Daniel O'Connell Catholic Association Robert Peel The Duke of Wellington The Catholic Emancipation Act Earl Grey "rotten boroughs"
• What were the challenges presented by Nationalism and Liberalism in Europe after 1815?
• How did Conservatives react in Europe and what happened domestically in Prusia, Rusia, France, Great Britain, etc.? Be specific in your examples.
• What were the means used by European powers to suppress this new mood of nationalism and Republicnism?
• What countries were successful in their struggle for independence?
• What rebellions occurred in Europe and which ones were successful? Why were they successful or why were they not?
• Did the Great Reform Bill of 1832 change Great Britain politically? What other reform movements occurred in Great Britian?