Study Guide for Chapter 23 - Nationalism Triumphs in Europe Terms and People to Know
1. Rhine Confederation German Confederation Zollverein Frankfurt
Frederick William IV Otto
Hohenzollerns Schleswig and Holstein Danish War Seven Weeks War or Austro Prussian War Franco Prussian War North German Confederation Napoleon III Ems Dispatch kaiser chancellor Second Reich Bundesrat Reichstag
Sec 2. Krupp Steel August Thyssen Kulturkampf Social Democraric Party William II
Sec 3. Giussepe Mazzini Count Camillo Cavour Young Italy Movement The Red Cross Risorgimento Victor Emmanuel II Giuseppe Garibaldi Red Shirts anarchists
4. Francis I of Austria
Francis Deak The
Francis Joseph The Balkans The Ottoman Empire "dying man or sick man of Europe" "Balkan powder keg"
"Orthodoxy, autocracy, and nationalism" Alexander II Crimean War Emancipation Decree zemstvoz People's Will Alexander III Constantine Pobedonostsev pogroms refugees Nicholas II Trans-Siberian Railway Vladimir Ulyanov "Lenin" Russo-Japanese War Father George Gapon St. Petersburg's Winter Palace Bloody Sunday The Revolution of 1905
October Manifesto Duma Peter Stolypin Rasputin
Explain how early German nationalism paved the way for German unity.
• How was Bismarck able to unify Germany?
• What economic changes occurred in Germany in the mid 1800s?
• What did Bismarck do to adjust to the industrial and socialist changes in Germany?
• How was Italy able to unify and what problems did they face after 1861?
• Describe and explain the nationalistic conflcits in the Balkans and the formation of the Dual
• Describe and explain Russia'a attempts at reforms and industrialization.
• Outline the causes and results of the Revolution of 1905.
Essay Questions ( give
specific examples to support your statements )
1. Describe and explain the unification of Germany. How was Bismarck able to unify Germany and what problems occurred after Germany was united?(be specific)
2. Describe and explain the unification of Italy. How were Italian nationalists able to unify Italy and what problems did they encounter after unification?( be specific, support your statements with facts)
3. Describe and explain the events that took place in the Austrian Empire and how the nationalist movement in the empire was a force that caused disunity as opposed to unity. What compromises were reached and why were they not effective? (Be Specific)
4. Describe and explain the reforms and changes in Russia after the Congress of Vienna. Explain the causes and results of the Revolution of 1905. ( Be Specific)